Monday, December 9, 2013

Week 42 of the mission, In which we get trapped in Aarhus and I start my own catering business

Dear Family,

So this has been a surprising week. It started out with me and Sister Tew going on exchanges with the Sisters serving in Esbjerg and spending our Tuesday with them. that was fun and no surprises there. Just a nice normal day of typical missionary work here in DK.

However, Wednesday was a day full of terrible biking. Sister Tew and I were biking really fast to the train station when she hit a but and went flying off of her bike. Thank goodness she had a helmet on and gloves and a big coat so there was no damage but still, that wasn't a lot of fun. Then later Wednesday, we were biking in the dark (so at about 4pm) and we had lights on our bikes but this car that was to the side of the road did not look at all when pulling out because I was right along side his car and I was very blessed that I was able to quickly turn and swerve out of his way. I was also blessed there was no traffic coming the other way. Well, as I was swerving and trying not fall off, Sister Tew stops behind this driver and decides not to try to drive past him because he seemed like he didn't know what he was doing. Anyways, he starts backing up and actually hits her bike! Luckily she jumped off before he hit her. So ya, bad bike day.

Then Thursday morning we went up to Aarhus for zone conference and the plan was for us to have training in the morning, a big Christmas lunch and then so more training and then we would all see a movie (Ephriam's Rescue). So the morning went as planned but then at the beginning of lunch, the zone leaders come in and announce that there is a huge storm on it's way and that they trains and bridges are closing down in about 2 hours and so then everyone frantically started trying to figure out how to get home. However, even with our frantic last minute plans, Sister Tew and I, along with 4 other Sisters and 16 Elders got stuck and left in the church. All the other missionaries who tried to make it home got stuck in a town called Fredicia because a semi-truck get blown onto the train tracks.

But it was actually really fun getting stuck in the church. We were still able to watch Ephriam's Rescue and then we just played ping pong and cleaned the church really well and then had a little testimony meeting. It was lots of fun. Luckily, there are sisters living in Aarhus, so all of the sisters were able to cram into the apartment and spend the night there. The storm wasn't as terrible as we thought it was going to be so we were able to make it home Friday morning. All the missionaries made it back to their areas on Friday.

On Saturday, Sister Tew and I stopped by our investigator Ruth who is kind of on pause from seriously investigating the church because she wants time to prepare for her birthday party which is this Saturday. So we stopped over and aksed if there is anything we could do for her. Well, I've made some Danish pastries for her in the past and so she gave me this big bag of flour, sugar, margrine and told me she wanted me to make cupcakes for her party and make patries and make them look really good. So I'll do that during weekly planning on Friday. But I just had to laugh because I never thought that on my mission I would turn into a baker who got hired to make free food and treats for ward parties and baptisms and regular birthday parties as well. I'll send pictures of what I make. I'm not exactly sure what I'll bake because Ruth just gave me some supplies and told me "bake whatever you'd like". But we did offer to help and if this is the service she wants us to do, then I'm more than happy to help :)

I am very excited for Christmas and celebrating it here in Denmark. I'm very excited to give a gift of devoted service to the Savior this year. I hope each of you get the chance to sit down and think about the life of Christ and the significance of His birth to you personally. I've been reading the four gospels in the New Testament and really pondering about the miracles Christ peformed and why He is the greatest gift I've ever received in my life. I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that when we put Christ first on Christmas, we will have the most joyful day. I hope each of us finds a way to give a gift to Him on the day that the world celebrates His birth.

I love you all! Have a wonderful, Christ-filled week!

Med Kærlig Hilsen,
Søster Briscoe


No comments:

Post a Comment