Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baptisms, Conferences, and Brown Recluses









So this past weekend was fantastic! I mean, General Conference always is but as a missionary, it's super neat and interesting to listen to the talks. And it flies by so quickly too! Conference has never gone by that fast before. One of my favorite talks was Elder Holland's and me and Sister Shelley actually decided that it would be a good talk to have one of our investigators listen to. If Sister Shelley and I can't inspire them to take the next step necessary for baptism, surely Elder Holland can. I also liked the story about the 25 words to your family and decided to do that so here are the 25 words I would send to you:

Laugh. Smile. Temple is worth any sacrifice. Share gospel with everyone. Atonement is real. Love. Have courage. Stay obedient. Pursue Dreams. Hope. I love you.

So cherish those 25 words in case I die or something, haha. Actually, you really never know in Marion. Our apartment had human remains in it like two months before we moved in. So...yeah...

In between Conference Sessions on Saturday, we had a baptism! Joe and Brandon Joan (father and son) were baptized. It was an amazing experience. Those two are just fantastic. Joe is such a great guy and the Spirit is so strong when he speaks or even when you just look at him. As he puts it "the ghost is already in him". He's sweet and now his wife (who is already a member) is looking forward to the day that they can both be sealed in the temple for time and all eternity.

In between Conference Sessions on Sunday, we had a neat experience. We were out tracting and trying to follow up on some potential investigators when Sister Shelley turns to me and says "so there's this man who lives in a house over there and we've already tried him twice and he's not interested in the Gospel cause he's a soldier and seen too many men pray and never get an answer from God and we've tried him twice but he just doesn't want the Gospel but I really feel like we should try again." So I was like 'well heck yes, let's do it!" So we get to his door and knock and he answers and Sister Shelley says "sorry for bothering you but my new companion, Sister Briscoe, has a message for you." I was like 'ummmm, so I don't know you but I want to read you some scriptures" and I read the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis who were murdered as the prayed and I also read him the story of King Lamoni's father and finding out if there was a God or not. And eventually, after we talked for a bit, he became interested and we are going to go back and teach him more! It was awesome because when I was baring my testimony, he started tearing up and I started tearing up.

Also, there are all these spiders in our apartment and I always kill them because Sister Shelley is terrified of them. The other day I caught one to use in an object lesson for the Titensor's and I showed them the spider and they were like "I'm pretty sure that's a brown recluse" so after putting it in this little magnifying bug box that they have, they did indeed conclude that it was a brown recluse and I said "oh, our apartment is full of them". They just looked at me incredulously and asked "how are you not dead yet?" So I'm living in an apartment infested with very poisonous spiders but I'm not worried. They aren't very aggressive.

Anyways, the work is going forward, slowly but surely and with a little more effort, Me and sister Shelley can get this stone rolling a bit faster, haha.


I love you all,

Sister Diana Briscoe

No comments:

Post a Comment