Monday, April 15, 2013

"Is Sister Bistro still with us?"



We got a fun phone call from one of our favorite less active members, Sister Rickard. She's a hoot. She will say the most outrageous things but anyways, she called us up wanting to know if "Sister Bistro" was still around. For some reason, the name Briscoe is a hard one for people to say here in The great Ohio. I've been called pretty much everything you could imagine, except 'Briscoe'.


Anyways, this week has been such an amazingly blessed week. We have found NINE new investigators!! Fasting works. Fasting really works. We had been praying and fasting for find a good family to teach and then the day after our fast we found about six families who seemed fairly interested. Two of those families only spoke Spanish and Sister Shelley doesn't speak a lick of Spanish and so I've been teaching in Spanish! But I'm getting ahead of myself. Okay. Fasting. Yes, so we fasted and then we found people so fasting totally works.

So this past Friday and Saturday, we had another Sister come stay with us and help us with training and such. Sister Kimball was able to come along with me and Sister Shelley as we taught the Mexican father and son, Bersain and Joel. I was the only one out of the three of us who spoke any Spanish but we were like "come on, the spirit will just work its awesome magic and it'll be great." So I taught the lesson and did some translating for my companions and for the investigators and at one point, when we were talking about the Book of Mormon and how they could know it was true and that Joseph Smith was a Prophet, the Spirit was so strong and Sister Kimball just turns to me and says "invite them to be baptized!" in English. I told her "Ummm, I don't know how to say that." So we scrambled around in the pamphlet and I looked up baptism and was explaining it to them and then asked them if they knew it was true if they'd be baptized and they said yes! We didn't get a date set up though because I totally forgot that fecha was date in spanish but next time, we'll get that set up. So...my Danish study is kinda slacking right now because I'm so focused on trying to teach the Spanish families we want to teach.


We are also teaching this amazing part member family. The wife is a less active member and her husband and one of her sons is very interested in the church and wanting to learn more. I really wished they would have come to church but I just have to keep telling myself "baby steps, baby stepping towards the church, baby stepping towards the font." haha. But Brother Decker (the investigating husband) is super nice and after we hugged his wife goodbye, we went in to give the good ol' classic handshake goodbye and he pulled us in for a hug! yup...so that was incredibly awkward. I mean, I already gave some of the most awkward hugs before my mission and that certainly hasn't changed. I still give very awkward hugs, especially when my male investigators hug me...yeah...we got to explain to him that we don't do that.
Oh and I got to see a good giant midwestern thunder storm. In fact, we had decided that that day would be a good day to save gas and mileage and just walk everywhere. So I got to be out in the thunderstorm for a while. And man, can it rain HARD here. and the lightning and thunder was crazy. But it was fun. I was just walking around singing "there is Sunshine in my soul today" like a good little obnoxious greenie should do :)


Missions are wonderful. Please be a missionary right now! help the missionaries in your ward and give them referrals! PLEASE. As a missionary myself, I cannot express to you how amazing it is when somebody gives you a referral. In fact, my first two baptisms were referrals. So get involved in the missionary work. Catch the wave ;)


I love you all and I pray for you every day!




Love, Sister Diana Briscoe


No comments:

Post a Comment