Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Break in!

So...here's the thing. we went shopping yesterday and then when we got home our apartment had been broken into and so that's why I couldn't email yesterday because we spent our whole day trying to figure out what was going on......APRIL FOOLS! Did I get you? Haha :)

Well, really we didn't have time to email because life is just too dang busy in Aarhus so we had to switch our Pday and email today instead of yesterday. 

This week has been very busy and kind of crazy. It's ranged from taking care of this old Jewish woman who has broken her arm, to eating a kebab and teaching a group of 20 British students in the kebab shop, to suddenly getting my hair cut short at a lunch appointment (something I had not planned on doing), to getting hugged and kissed by a drunk lady, to having a member stick me with a needle, to giving a talk in church and yes, just so many things. 

Life is busy and as a missionary, the busier you are, the better off you are. It's always nicer to have too many things to do than to feel like you can't do anything. 

I'll tell a few stories of my week. So we met this old Jewish lady a few weeks ago (named Dasha). She invited us over a couple times and then invited us over for dinner. We called the day before to confirm our appointment with her last Friday and she said "I can't make you dinner, I'm sorry, I've broken my hand". She sounded really confused and distressed so we said "hey, that's fine, we can come help you out with your house since your hand is broken." She liked that idea, so we came over and knocked on her door and she yelled at us to come in. so we walk in and it's really dark inside her house (also she is a hoarder).  We see her and this is the order in which I noticed things: 1. she has no pants on 2. her arm is in a big sling and her hand is three times normal size 3. not only is her arm in a sling, her one side of her body is just really black. It looked like she had been hit by a car, although she said she just fell in the basement. So that was shocking. We helped get her into bed and cleaned up a little in her house. It was sad though because we couldn't do a ton to help her because we are not nurses and we don't know how to change her into night clothes or give her a bath or do half of the things she asked us to do. We were able to call the home nurse that visits her and she will come more often now to take care of her. 

Also on Friday we went to eat lunch at a member's house. I had heard from other missionaries that you had to be very careful at her house because if you did anything wrong, she'd grab a sewing needle and stick you with it. Sister Hale told me that if you ever spoke any English you would get stuck. So I thought "hmmm, I wonder if that's true" and I tested it out and yeps, it's true. I got poked with a needle because I said "thanks" instead of "tak" but this member is really sweet. Quirky but sweet. Also right as we were sharing the spiritual thought, her neighbor who cuts her hair just walks into the house with all her hair supplies. She had accidentally come an hour early. But that was fine with us. We started chatting with her and I showed her how beat up my hair was and she just said "sit down, I'll cut it" and so within 5 minutes, I got a new hair cut.she took about 4 or 5 inches off. But hey, I got a free hair cut in Denmark which is a rare thing. 

Things are really picking up here and Sister Hale and I are having a blast. Sister Hale is so sweet and really fun. The ward is great and I am getting lots of eating appointments (so if I come home a little rounder then it's definitely because of Aarhus). And I'm meeting some of the best people in world here, like Maria. I love Maria. She is amazing. An angel to missionaries. 

I love you all and am praying for you too! 

Love Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment