Tuesday, April 1, 2014

La Revedere - Mar 10 letter

The hardest thing about being a missionary? Saying goodbye. Last Tuesday, I got a call. Yup, a transfer call. Elder Whitlock told me that I was heading off to Aarhus (which is actually only a 30 minute train ride from Horsens) but I was still very shocked because I have only been with Søster Orgill one transfer! Sometimes as a missionary, you want tranfers to come around because you've been in an area so long and you want to see something new but despite being in Horsens for over 5 months, I just wanted to stay. Lots of amazing things were happening and I felt like we had some really good friends there. What are the things I learned from them? 

1. Think critically
2. Always have a winning mindset
3. When you need something, call your friends 
4. Eat your vegetables

For whoever reads this, I hope you always cherish these words of wisdom ;) Because I always will

So after I got the transfer call, the week just seem to fill up with a million things to do and people to see. We stopped by my good friend Lis, who has helped me out so much with my family history work (the Danish side). She is great and I've learned a lot about Denmark culture and history. 

Also, this week Søster Origll and I braved the local university campus. It's called VIA. We were seriously terrified to go there because it's been over a year since either of us have been to a university. We went to see if we could do service there but they have no service programs. So we asked if we could do a presentation or have a display table around campus. The front desk referred us to the Univeristy Priest. She was busy but we got her number and hopefully we'll get something set up. Then all the students in Horsens will know who the Sister missionaries are :) Although we talk about 20 students every day. Most of them already know us. We're pretty cool :) 

Then later this week, we saw a woman named Elly. She is my friend in the wheelchair. Although I haven't seen her for a very long time because she was in the hospital for a while and was just having a really tough time. But I was able to visit her to say goodbye and get her information so we can stay in touch. 

We visited Solveig this week. Sovleig was the first person I met in Horsens. She isn't a member of the church but she is very beleiving and has a very strong faith in her Savior. She's been through many trails but finds peace and comfort in Christ. She is one of my heros. It was hard saying goodbye to her.

We were able to see our good friend Anhkaa from Mongolia because she came to church (which actually was Stake Conference in Aarhus). She also had us over for lunch and we ate some more authentic Mongolian food. I think it's so amazing how multi-cultural Denmark is. I've met so many people from around the world. And I've learned little phrases in other languages, like how to say stuff in Romanian! Even though I'm not very good at it. Now I know how to sing a little bit of a song in Romanian as well :) 

 I said goodbye to my sweet friend Lisbeth. She is 46 but thinks like a child. She and I grew really close in my time in Horsens. 

Then the last people I said goodbye to was the "Romanian group". Michael (Mihai), Justin (Iustin), Cosmin and Robert. We were able to have one last dinner with Michael, Justin and Cosmin. I made my famous Chinese chicken :) and Søster Orgill sang them a song that she had made up. I actually saw Roby this morning and he helped carry my suitcase to the train station. I think it has been a huge blessing in my life to be able to have made friends like them while serving in Horsens. 

Well, remember the importance of being a friend this week. Reach out to someone who needs it. Look for someone who may be struggling and show them unconditional love and remember, despite differences in culture, beliefs, language, we are all a lot more similar than what we think. 

Love you all and hope everyone has a great week! 

Søster Diana Briscoe 

Picture Explanations:

Søster Orgill and I at VIA


Lis and I
Group of friends at the church for institute

No comments:

Post a Comment