Thursday, August 14, 2014

Aug 4 - What a wonderful week

Oh man, I love Aarhus. Can I say that again? I LOVE AARHUS! this city is my home. This is my city. But seriously, Aarhus is known as the "smilende by" or "the smiling city". And every time I look out over the giant cement buildings mixed with the cute, classic danish architecture, I just smile. When I first came to aarhus, I thought it was a little ugly, but know I think it's the most beautiful place in the world. A place is only as good as the people you see it with. I've seen Arhus with some of the most amazing people in this world. Dang, it'll be hard to leave. When you fall in love, it's hard to leave the thing you love. Stupid Aarhus, had to go make me fall in love. Anyways, that was my rant about leaving. Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but there is a grafitti artist whose tag is "Diana" or "Diana 42" and you can find my name all over the city, especially on the street where we live. So Aarhus really is my city. I've got my name all over it.

We had a little miracle with reaching our goals this past Tuesday night. We had been to CUV and then we got a ride home from some members. We got out of the car and I looked at my watch. We had about 7 minutes before 9pm. I pointed that out to Søster Ripa and said "that's perfect, we have time to go contact!". So we just walked up our street stopping a few people that said "Ellers tak" or "Nej tak". I pulled out my planner and looked at our goals. In order to reach our goals for that day, we needed one more lesson and one new investigator. I looked up and saw a young man walking up the street towards us. Now we had about 3 minutes left before 9 but I told Søster Ripa, "We have to reach our goal of one other lesson, let's teach this man!" And we stopped him. He was very nice and very open. He is catholic and interested in the fact that we believe in living prophets. We were able to teach him briefly about Joseph Smith and he even said the prayer at the end of our short lesson. He asked God to bless us on our way and to find those who would listen. And then we were able to set up a return appointment with him! So we reached all of our goals that day! It was just another confirmation that as we do all we can to reach our goals, including using the last, precious minutes of the day to work, the Lord will bless us with His children who are ready to hear about this wonderful restored Gospel.

We have started teaching David about family history work because he knows so much about the church now. And at first, he thought he wouldn't like it, but then after we found his grandpa in the danish church books, he got really excited and then went home and spent his night looking up his grandpa's family history work and then his grandma's. Then when he was visiting his grandparents over the weekend, he showed them what he had been doing with slægthistorie and they loved it and showed him pictures of their parents and grandparents and great grandparents. I think he is feeling the spirit of Elijah and that feeling that could open his heart more to believing in God. Family history work is a tool I haven't been very good about using but seeing how much David likes it, it helps me realize that no matter your age or your religious background, family history work can been exciting and brings the spirit for all those who do it. I cannot wait to come home and do more of our family history work. It is so fun. I get really into it when we are helping David and he just looks at me like I'm a weirdo and asks ”why on earth are you excited? This isn't your family.” and I say ”I just everyone's family! It's so exciting!” It's true though, families are the best!

We also got two really positive referrals this week from members. A member in Randers called us and we went and taught her friend Rikke on Tuesday. The appointment went so well. She is very searching and very open. She has the sweetest six year old daughter, named Emelie :) (so naturally, me and Emelie were best friends from the start. We played dress up and she showed me all of her toys. It was great) We felt prompted to teach her about the light of Christ and how we can know truth, before we started teaching about Joseph Smith. When we told Rikke that that was what we wanted to talk about she just stared at us and said "That is exactly what Elisebeth (her member friend) and I were just talking about this morning." The appointment went very well. Later this week, we invited them to church and She and her boyfriend and her daughter came! All three of them loved it! Especially her sweet daughter, who did not want to go home. She loved primary so much. The ward reached out and so many people talked to them and they are planning on coming back next Sunday.

And here are some pictures of us and Ashley. Ashley and Sister Ripa are teaching me how to be a good frowner. I struggle with it. Sister Ripa gave me a good piece of advice for it though, she said "Sister Briscoe, you cannot smile and frown at the same time"



No comments:

Post a Comment